January 12, 2012

a {CRAPPY} situation

This week has been an interesting one. It all started on Tuesday evening, when I got a text from Alisa, saying, "Where are you? I'm freaking out!" I quickly responded when I saw the message and asked what was going on. She responded, "We had a sewage leak in our apartment." Umm, can you say GROSS?!? I was still in Farmington, so there was nothing I could do but think about the damage that had been done, on my drive home. When I got home, the door was open to air out the awful smell that filled the tiny apartment, and this is what I saw. Alisa had covered most of it with some towels, but the little that remained was disgusting. Just thinking about what it was on our floor makes me gag, along with the awful smell!
Alisa called our landlord right away and they sent their emergency maintenance people up. When they got to the apartment they checked out the damage and tried to figure out what was the cause of the leak. One of the guys thought something was probably flushed down the toilet that shouldn't have been. He said he wasn't able to get passed it with his equipment he had. I don't know what it could have been, but we do have a two year old living above us, who is in the process of being potty trained. We think he may well have been playing and flushed a toy down.

They started working right away, and our apartment became unlivable. Not fun. The owner said we would probably have to stay in a hotel while they were fixing it up, but they would have to figure things out in the morning when the office was open. So Tuesday night we got an apartment downtown through Ange's company. It was free, which was great. By Wednesday afternoon I got word from Alisa that the owner had got us a hotel for the next week and to plan on packing my bags when I got home. I got home and did just that.

We are now staying at an extended stay hotel, just a few miles away from our apartment. It has a kitchen in it, which is nice so we aren't having to eat out for every meal. It's not the nicest place I've ever stayed, but it does the job and doesn't have any leakage on the floor. And for that I am grateful.
We have been here since Wednesday night and have the room booked until this Wednesday. They are fixing the drywall and replacing the carpet. Let's hope it is done by Wednesday. If not we will have to find a new hotel, because this one is apparently booked. Oh the joys of life. :)

1 comment:

Jen J. said...

Man! That is disgusting. Glad they are getting it all taken care of. It will be nice to have new carpet :)